Eating healthy is always important, but it is especially important during a global pandemic because it can help strengthen your immunity. The CDC recommends having two weeks of food stocked up at home. Unfortunately, this can mean a lot of processed junk food. At Avanti Body in Vacaville, CA, we want to help you stay as healthy as possible while practicing social distancing and working from home. Here are some of our top tips for healthy eating while isolating:
1. Choose healthy snacks.
The more stressed we are, the more likely we are to reach for salty, sugary snacks that ultimately leave us feeling unsatisfied. More time at home also leads to more mindless snacking. Keeping healthier items in the fridge and pantry will eliminate the temptation to consume processed foods like chips and cookies. Depending on the availability of course, some options might include:
- Fresh fruit
- Vegetables and hummus
- Dried fruit
- Frozen edamame
- Rice cakes with almond butter
2. Stock up on veggies.
We all know we should eat more vegetables, but they are especially important during this lockdown. Frozen veggies are a great option since they will last much longer than fresh vegetables while retaining their nutritional value. As much as supplies at your local grocery store will allow, try to stock up on various colors to ensure you are getting a variety of nutrients. Be sure to follow guidelines for protecting yourself in the grocery store.
3. Exercise portion control.
Of course, this is easier said than done, but while you are stuck at home it can be easy to load up your plate without even realizing it. Try using smaller plates if you have them. We tend to fill our plates up, no matter what size they are. Drinking water before you eat can help you feel fuller. Make sure veggies take up the majority of your plate, as you can eat as many of these as you like!
4. Practice mindful eating.
Mindful eating is all about eating with intention and gratitude. Here are a few practical mindful eating tips you can start practicing today:
- Take 3 deep breaths before you begin eating.
- Pay careful attention to how your food looks, smells, and tastes.
- Avoid doing other things, like watching TV, while eating—this distraction leads to eating higher quantities of food without realizing it.
- Chew each bite 15-20 times.
- Put your fork down in between bites.
- Check in with your body regularly while eating and pay attention to your hunger/fullness levels. Stop eating before you feel full as it often takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that your stomach is full.
- Enjoy the experience of eating!
Stay Happy and Healthy!
While your stress levels may be high right now, these tips for healthy eating while isolating can help you stay on track during this coronavirus pandemic. Let us know if you have any other tips that have been working for you. At Avanti Body in Vacaville, CA, your health and well-being are our number one priority. Be sure to check our website where we will be posting regular updates about when we will be reopening. We can’t wait to see you again!